(keitai-l) Re: QR Codes iAppli for non QR Code phones?

From: Benjamin Joffe <benjamin_at_newtgames.com>
Date: 03/05/05
Here is the situation (from Denso's Homepage):

http://www.denso-wave.com/qrcode/aboutqr-e.html
QR Code is a kind of 2-D (two-dimensional) symbology developed by Denso Wave
(a division of Denso Corporation at the time) and released in 1994 with
the primary aim
of being �ga symbol that is easily interpreted by scanner equipment�h.

http://www.denso-wave.com/qrcode/qrstandard-e.html
For 2D Code to become widely used, it is first necessary for QR Code
specification
to be clearly defined and made public. In addition, QR Code must be
freely usable by users.

The background behind the popularity of bar codes, is specification
disclosure.
Today, there are very few bar codes with closed specifications or strict
patent protection.

QR Code is open in the sense that the specification of QR Code is disclosed
and that the /patent right owned by Denso Wave is not exercised./

QR Code is established as an ISO (ISO/IEC18004) standard. QR Code
specification can,
therefore, be purchased from this organization.
<Buy ISO Standards> Go to "Search and Standards" and search by ISO
Number for 18004.
http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/prods-services/ISOstore/store.html

Denso sells readers and creation softwares, but no "reader software".
I guess that if you get the specification document from ISO (200 CHF,
~180 USD for the paper
or electronic version) you should have all required information to code
a reader as well
(which would probably be faster than reverse-engineer the coding method
from an encoder).

Cheers,

-- Benjamin