(keitai-l) Re: Flash on Japanese vodafone/6630 nokia ?

From: Hugh Ashton <hughashton_at_gmail.com>
Date: 05/15/05
On 14/05/2005 18:54, "nick may" <nick@kyushu.com> wrote:

>> so it seems they blocked "unsigned" apps?
>
> The only app I have got to install normally is Opera.
> But some Java apps installed fine for me.

Acrobat Reader installs off the shelf as well - actually, it's most
impressive.

> You can bluetooth files to the phone mailbox - then use an app called
> "Forward" to move them to the MMC card. But rather tricky I think (you
> can't blutooth big apps for o Bite bullet and get SD card reader that
> works with your card is my advice...
>
> If you are on Win machine the software (JP)  that comes with the phone
> lets you browse parts of the files system over USB.

But *not* E:\system or C:\system - you have to use the card reader there, I
think (and remember to unhide hidden files on a Windows system).

>> Jeez, 2 hours + counting to just install an app thats 5mins anywhere
>> else in the world.
>
> yup - it takes about 5 minutes manually when you get the hang of it...
>
> And console yourself with the thought that viruses will have the same
> problem.
>
> BTW - I gather 512meg cards are available end of May.

I think they're in the UK now, aren't they?

A somewhat related question - how does one upgrade the firmware/OS in the
702NK - the Nokia man under Tokyo station said that Nokia couldn't/wouldn't
do this for Voda-branded 6630s?

Hugh