(keitai-l) Re: smartphones in Japan (was: Fukuoka Kyushu 3G Vodafone coverage)

From: Arnold P. Siboro <asiboro_at_maltech.jp>
Date: 05/17/05
I don't understand what was meant by "non-locked" nokia, were you
talking about SIM lock? If what you meant SIM lock, then the reason was
simple, all non-locked cell phones in Japan, such as Nokia 7600, cannot
access carrier's mail and web pages. No Japanese would want such phones
(except some frequent traveller who needs cheaper global voice-only
phone).

As for SIM-locked foreign brand phones (such as nokia 702NK etc), here
is the reason:

I am quite in tune with Japanese users, having lived here for long
enough, and regularly watch bulletin boards including the notorious
2channel. The most obvious reason Nokia and other foreign brands fail to
capture Japanese customers are simply because the design is not typical
Japanese. I don't mean colors, decoration etc, but user interface. I
acquired my first handphone in Japan years ago, and has never really
used cell phones abroad till 2-3 years ago, so I am quite Japanese in
regards to cellphone preference. The first time I tried 702NK (nokia),
802SE (sony ericsson) and other foreign-designed cell phones I did not
even know intuitively which button to press to turn off the phone and
which to receive call etc. These cell phones are completely different.
The phones miss many small features that average Japanese expect to be
in every cell phones.

So yes nothing prevents anyone from selling un-branded phones, but at
least in the case of SIM unlocked phones the carriers are not being fair.
Still comparatively very few handset in Japan supports
bluetooth/IrDA/POP client and other great features, if only Nokia 7600
etc can be used to access i-Mode etc then there will be a fairer
competition.

On Tue, 17 May 2005 10:01:57 +0900
Gerhard Fasol <fasol@eurotechnology.com> wrote:

>  > ...the fact the market is so closed...
>
> Nick,
>
> Japan's telecom market is not "so closed" at all.
> It is probably one of the most open telecom
> markets in the world.
>
> Look: Vodafone and Carlyle could acquire some of
> the most important phone companies in Japan,
> Nokia, and soon Motorola sell handsets etc.

[ excessive quoting removed by moderator ]

Arnold P. Siboro (asiboro@maltech.jp)

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
                    -  Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943