(keitai-l) Re: WCDMA and CDMA 2000 in the same phone

From: dc <lister_at_pikkle.com>
Date: 05/31/05
On Tue, 31 May 2005 08:10:54 +0900, Kyle Barrow <kyle@pukupi.com> wrote:

> When mobiles no longer need to include GSM support, this may well
> happen and it would be nice to be able to use my mobile in South Korea.

Tokyo Japan, 30 May 2005 -- Vodafone K.K. announces today that starting 7
June 2005 it will offer roaming services on SK Telecom Co., Ltd.'s W-CDMA
network for its 3G customers*1, making it possible for them to use in
South Korea the handsets that they normally use at home. The agreement
marks the first time for an operator in Japan to offer roaming in South
Korea on a W-CDMA network*2. Vodafone K.K.'s Global Roaming Service lets
customers use Vodafone K.K. 3G handsets*1 in countries and regions abroad
in addition to Japan. Previously, customers traveling to South Korea had
to rent dedicated CDMA handsets to roam on local CDMA networks. With the
opening of W-CDMA networks in South Korea, however, it is now possible for
customers using Vodafone K.K. 3G handsets to take their handsets for use
in South Korea, a top-ranking travel destination for Japan residents with
over 2.4 million travelers visiting in 2004*3.

http://www.wirelesswatch.jp//modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1353