(keitai-l) Re: smartphones in Japan (was: Fukuoka Kyushu 3G Vodafone coverage)

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 05/31/05
On Tue, 31 May 2005, Nik Frengle wrote:

> In Japan, one of the issues is actually *too many* features to
> comfortably master for a user.

Only if you look at it in the sense of users mastering every feature.

I think that the Japanese public tend just to ask if the features they
want are there, and ignores additional features. The marketers, in turn,
make sure that the expected features for each market segment are there,
and for any particular segment, if there are additional features beyond
that to satisfy other segments, that's fine.

No doubt this does not produce an optimal UI, nor does it minimize
development costs, but it's a very Japanese way to go about things.

And I have to say, I find Japanese handsets a lot more comfortable than
foreign ones, for most features.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***        http://www.keitai-dev.net/wiki/         ***