(keitai-l) Re: AU Phones, Cookies and SSL

From: marcus saw <saw_marcus_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 08/12/05
Sure thing, like I said I encountered a similar problem but worked around it by using a session, the session key was passed from page to page in the URL using URL rewriting for all the carriers, AU and Docomo included.  So what this means that the client never actually 'held' the session key, just every link on the page was automatically re-writen to include it in the query string.

I did this because there was no other way to garantee a unique ID to identify each phone.  I know you can get serial numbers and subscriber IDs and there is limited cookie support but this was, I found at the time, the best way to do it.

If you intend to support more than just the latest AU phones then maybe you will find it useful to try this approach.

I dug out this link which has some more AU specific information about how they handle cookies  http://www.au.kddi.com/ezfactory/tec/spec/cookie.html

Please excuse me if you have already visited it though.

As for testing this approach I listed the browsers that I have tested this on in my last post, and if you look closer you will see the list includes at least one browser version found on handsets from all the carriers here in Japan.

By the way, if you can find an alternative way to achieve what you want to do then please let me know - I would be very interested in hearing more.

Marcus.
http://cellsuite.blogspot.com

Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> wrote:
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, marcus saw wrote:
> You asked which browser this has worked for me on. I have verified
> this type of session handling over SSL on the following Japanese
> keitai browser versions ( not the full list ): DoCoMo/1.0...

You must have been getting the session key from the client in some form
other than cookies, since DoCoMo never returns cookies. If you read my
post carefully, I was talking explicitly about the case of AU phones not
doing proper cookie handling across an http->https redirect.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson +81 90 7737 2974

*** Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki! ***
*** http://www.keitai-dev.net/ ***

This mail was sent to address saw_marcus@yahoo.com