(keitai-l) Re: FYI - GPS in Japan

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 10/26/05
On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Mr. Eric Hildum wrote:

> The Eurotechnology newsletter has reported that Japans Internal and
> Communications Ministry is planning to change regulations to require
> GPS in all mobile phones from April 2007 in Japan....
> The interesting part (from a content perspective) is the knowledge
> developers have that all phones sold from a particular point will
> include GPS technology, which can be said of almost nothing else. I
> expect location-based services to increase

Do you also have knowledge that many of these phones that will be adding
GPS will be including some sort of user interface for it?

I had somehow got the impression that, when including GPS for
(allegedly) 911-type purposes, many manufacturers have chosen not to
offer any sort of user interface for it, but just pass the data on to
the phone company, which does not pass it further except for 911 and
suchlike.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***