(keitai-l) Re: FYI - GPS in Japan

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 10/27/05
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Mr. Eric Hildum wrote:

> Actually, Qualcomm has a nice write-up of the system they deployed in
> Japan, and the implication was that it was used for handset based LBS
> services.

Well, of course they did; that was the sole reason for putting it in the
phones. This was back in the days when GPS was not required in handsets;
it was put in only for commercial reasons.

I'm asking about handsets that have GPS not because the manufacturers
want to sell such a feature to consumers, but because they're legally
required to put it in there.

> Isn't there a map service which gives a map based on
> current location and orientation?

"You betcha!" as we say back in the prairies. Actually, the map is
fetched only by current location from the GPS, and it's rotated by the
phone based on an internal compass. (GPS does not give information on
what way you're facing.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***