(keitai-l) Re: Supported Character Sets for I-mode

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 01/10/06
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Nick May wrote:

>>> would prefer to use UTF-8 for encoding the Japanese content
>
> Note that this encoding of JP is - literally - 50% more expensive in
> terms of packets your customers must download.
>
> So it is slower and costs more, and less fits in the cache of older
> phones (10k of sjis content != 10k of UTF8 content.)

That depends. If they convert at the gateway, and they charge you by
over-air packets instead of TCP traffic volume, it would cost the
same, the download speed would be the same (assuming your server has a
reasonably fast connection), and the cache usage would be the same.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***