(keitai-l) Re: Supported Character Sets for I-mode

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 01/10/06
On 10 Jan 2006, at 17:41, Mohit Sindhwani wrote:

>  From TRONWeb, there's an article on "Unicode Revisited" (from 2001):
> http://tronweb.super-nova.co.jp/unicoderevisited.html
>
> and a brief history of Character Codes:
> http://tronweb.super-nova.co.jp/characcodehist.html

Your links are fascinating. (HIDEOUS colour scheme, but well worth
the read.)

As far as I can determine,  SJIS, in all its hacky, tacky glory, is
the least cpu intensive of EUCJP, UTF-8 and SJIS encoding schemes.
Which may be an issue on handsets and other low power devices.

It would be interesting to know what encoding scheme the Japanese
data processing world actually does use.

Does anyone know? The driving license database, for example....

Nick