(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone KK

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 03/08/06
On Mar 6, 2006, at 19:31 , Nik Frengle wrote:

> Ah Gerhard,
> I had guessed that you would be one of the first to comment on
> this. The
> truth is, that a year ago when you made the comment it missed the
> mark. It
> was, and is, much less about Softbank wanting to buy, which has
> been the
> case for some time, as Vodafone wanting to sell. A year ago when
> you made
> the comment, a clear decision had been made to not sell.

I don't think I missed the mark at all, what I said then was accurate
then and is accurate now.

I did not say, that Vodafone was ready to sell - I said that a sale to
Softbank is a possible scenario, and I also said that I can't see any
easy way Vodafone can get out of the situation the former J-Phone has
been managed into.
What I was quoted as saying was:

 >  Fasol, president of Eurotechnology-Japan, a consulting company,
 >  speculated that Softbank Corp., a Japanese broadband Internet
 >  provider that's trying to get a mobile-phone license,
 >  may buy Vodafone's Japan unit.
 >  ``Softbank acquiring Vodafone Japan looks like a possible
scenario,''
 >  Fasol said.
 >   ``I can't see how Vodafone can get out of the hole they dug
themselves into.''
 >  A Softbank spokeswoman, who declined to give her name,
 >  said the speculation had no basis and made no further comment.

Can't see what is wrong about this statement. I never said, that
Vodafone
was wanting to sell last year, in fact the Bloomberg article says that
Vodafone last year wanted to keep Vodafone KK for 10, 20, 30 years.
The interesting question is, why Vodafone changed it's mind.

Gerhard