(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone KK

From: Nik Frengle <nfrengle_at_gmail.com>
Date: 03/11/06
Philip,
The financial figures you are quoting are at variance with reported numbers
for Vodafone K.K. Look at the annual reports
<http://www.vodafone.com/assets/files/en/VOD_annual_report_2005_3.pdf>(p.39),
and you will see that the operating profit for 2004 was over 1 billion GBP (
1.04 to be exact), or 200 billion yen or so. Net income, which you have
other numbers for, was 6.14 billion GBP, or about 1.23 trillion yen.
Vodafone K.K. (and before that J-Phone) has posted an operating profit for
every year of it's ownership by Vodafone.
That is really not saying much, as the mobile phone business was, and still
is to some extent, a license to print money. The thing that concerned
investors and analysts, and ulitimately Vodafone Group, was the *decrease in
profitability*, which is far cry from making a loss, but when you take it
out three or five years shows that the company will in future make a
loss. Better to sell now when it still has value. Certainly, revenue and
profit numbers have been poor at Vodafone K.K. That is far different,
however, from making a loss.
As far as brand recognition, I find the data interesting. Do you have a
link? I was talking about brand image, rather than recognition, which is a
different beast, and for which I have seen reasonably recent data (it was in
March or April last year) that suggested that Vodafone does fairly well.
That means that among people who recognise the brand, that various things
about the way people feel about a brand are measured. I haven't seen data
for Softbank, but would guess that in their case recognition *could* work
against them, if the overall brand image were poor enough. (More people
recognise the brand, which means more people have a poor opinion). I
certainly have an extremely poor image of their customer service
(non-existent), their billing (we don't care if you cancelled 10 months ago,
pay up or we'll send in the heavies), and the quality of their products
(their wireless 'Trio' router's signal strength was so bad that it could not
reach 10 metres). As an internet portal and auction site, those things don't
matter very much, but from a mobile phone operator or ISP they are
essential.
Look, yes, I have an interest in Vodafone K.K., having worked there, and
know probably better than anyone the failings of that company.  But I would
much rather talk about real failings (poor network coverage, inflexible
billing system, slow product cycles that allow competitors to trump them,
misguided content strategies, unhappy retail partners, and a whole lot of
others) than phantom figures that don't mean anything, and are often
mis-understood.
Best,
Nik