(keitai-l) Re: Sharp Zero3 from WillCom

From: Arnold P. Siboro <asiboro_at_maltech.jp>
Date: 05/06/06
If you can read Japanese, there are tons of links to zero3 related
information. Looking at Google search result, it is clear that zero3 has
emerged as one of the most popular PDA phone in Japan, beating the M1000.
Again, if you read Japanese, I suggest reading blogs by zero3 fans, as
it reveals much truth about zero3. ASCII also produced a site just for
zero3 at http://www.willcom-fan.com/wzero3/.

As zero3 user, I find zero3 very useful, easy to use and economical at
the same time. It only costs about 5,000yen for unlimited packet at
64Kbps, and I can type email with both hands. The only major drawback
was battery life: it lasts less than a day under heavy use (and much less
if you use wifi).

BTW, zero3 is a PDA, not keitai, so by default it does not have keitai
web browser and its default mail client feels more like PC-based client
than a keitai mail client. Zero3 is a PC in many aspects, and that's one
major reason it stands out. Of course it can be very incovenient when
what you want to access is a keitai only sites. BTW, it seems that most
zero3 users have keitai (au/docomo/vodafone), like I do, so when zero3
cannot access certain sites, we just switch to keitai.

On May 3, 2006, at 15:35 , Shannon Jacobs wrote:

> I'm almost sure this device has been discussed here--but I missed it.
> Probably because I didn't know what to look for. It's apparently
> been around
> for a few months, but it only came to my attention recently. I have
> accumulated a fair amount of information, but I'm hoping someone
> here can
> point at useful links for this Sharp Zero3. Thanks a heap, as they
> say.
>
> Just in case, the short context is that it's a PDA/phone, but one
> of very
> few available in Japan. It seems quite a bit better than the PDA-
> related
> offerings of the other networks (especially KDDI, which has none).
> I don't
> like that it's using Microsoft's OS after they induced Palm to commit
> suicide, but value-wise it seems to be the best thing available.
>
> Related question is why WillCom is excluded from keitai-email-based
> services. At least I haven't any that will accept a WillCom address.

Arnold P. Siboro (asiboro@maltech.jp)

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour.
Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity."
                                                    --  Albert Einstein