(keitai-l) Re: Sharp Zero3 from WillCom

From: Shannon Jacobs <shanen_at_gmx.co.uk>
Date: 05/07/06
> Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 22:36:26 +0900
> From: "Arnold P. Siboro" <asiboro@maltech.jp>
> Subject: Re: Sharp Zero3 from WillCom
>
> If you can read Japanese, there are tons of links to zero3 related
> information. Looking at Google search result, it is clear that zero3
Yes, but... As already noted, I don't read it very quickly, and I think I
could probably get more from a 20-minute discussion with you as an
English-speaking user than from 2 hours of reading in Japanese. Perhaps we
could meet somewhere like Mickey House?

> As zero3 user, I find zero3 very useful, easy to use and economical at
> the same time. It only costs about 5,000yen for unlimited packet at
> 64Kbps, and I can type email with both hands. The only major drawback
> was battery life: it lasts less than a day under heavy use (and much
> less if you use wifi).

Actually, I'm interested in the 4x (128 Kbps) service. I've been told that
there may be a way to set it up for unlimited packet use around 7,000
yen/month by combining some of their confusing service offerings. I'm also
unsure if that approach is compatible with my ISP, Asahi-Net. There is also
a packet-hodai service at 4x for about 9,000 yen/month, and that might be
suitable for my purposes.

I've heard about these battery problems, and they worry me somewhat. Do you
carry your charger? Can it charge effectively from the USB cable?

I'm also interested in your wifi experiences. It sounds like you don't use
the handwriting recognition for input?

> BTW, zero3 is a PDA, not keitai, so by default it does not have keitai
> web browser and its default mail client feels more like PC-based
> client
> than a keitai mail client. Zero3 is a PC in many aspects, and that's
> one
> major reason it stands out. Of course it can be very inconvenient when
> what you want to access is a keitai only sites. BTW, it seems that
> most
> zero3 users have keitai (au/docomo/vodafone), like I do, so when zero3
> cannot access certain sites, we just switch to keitai.

I thought it was running Opera? As implemented on my current Kyocera phone,
Opera has a mode switch for keitai mode.

One of my goals is to avoid having multiple devices such as a separate
mobile phone. Actually, I'd be interested in consolidating all of my
non-work communications and even eliminating my ADSL service.