(keitai-l) Pround owner of a bouncing baby Zero3

From: Shannon Jacobs <shanen_at_gmx.co.uk>
Date: 05/27/06
Well, actually I'm not so proud, given the Microsoft involvement. However,
it's definitely an interesting toy, and I'm learning various things at a
fairly good rate. Does anyone have any interesting suggestions about things
to do or tips for effective usage? Or it would probably be just as
instructive for me to try to answer your questions...

Here's my mini-review so far. The handwriting recognition is about as bad as
I expected. I thought there was supposed to be a setting for Graffiti-style
input, but if so, I haven't found it. (I used to do about 30 wpm on my
Clie.) The various small keyboards are useless to me, and the large keyboard
is slightly usable. The speaker's sound is pitiful, but it's pretty good
with a headphone. Per the many reports, it does drain its humongous battery
quite quickly. I'm experimenting with the WiFi network, though so far just
detecting them. I haven't actually connected that way yet. I also need to
figure out which phone number to use for the 128K wireless modem connection,
but it uses a different number for PDA-only packets. Opera is not
preinstalled, but I turned off the images in IE, and it isn't too terribly
slow that way. Not sure if I should use some of the limited base memory for
another browser, but will probably try it for at least a while for
comparison. I would very much have preferred a pre-installed Opera with an
option for IE. Synching with the PC was pretty troublesome, and I still
haven't figured out the correct way to set up the Check Point firewall my
company requires. I got the variable rate service, which (if I understand
correctly) has a minimum around 3,000 yen/month and a maximum charge around
6,500 yen/month.