(keitai-l) Re: AU 3g2 copyright issues? can play, but cannot register ringtone

From: Paul Lester <paul_at_thetamusic.com>
Date: 05/31/06
    Ah.... yes... these are real issues.  Various phones have various limits
for chakuuta.  I think 200kb is one of them...

    The limits are complicated and different for each phone...But phones can usually
be grouped in groups of phones with various limits.

    You shouldn't be able to set a 3g2 as a ringtone on most AU phones unless you are an
official provider, except with some of the older phones.  You may have an older phone.

    Its also sounds like you are just scratching the surface of all the issues.  There are more
issues you will discover as you experiment more.

    The big problem is AU just makes the hardware in such a way that non-official partners
can't make really long and cool chakuuta that will register as ringtones on most
of their phones.....

    Which if you think about it is necessary as the big players are trying to sell 3g2 renditions of
CDs as ringtones.  If anyone could make one it would be a huge problem... So they put in various restrictions
on the handset level, in order to prevent this.

    With the midi-like-formats like SMAF (mmf), since its not really good quality in comparison,
these kind of restrictions were not necessary.  SMAF is really meant for voice and
midi-like sounds, not really for Chakuuta, though it can be used for that.  Of course if you had
a better SMAF creation tool, it might result in better SMAF-Chakuuta files, but I haven't delved into
Chakuuta SMAF very deeply... so I don't know much more.

jsalinas wrote:

> Hello.
>
> First, a little about my phone: I have an AU A5516T phone.
> Why? Because when/where I bought it, it was the only phone in the student discount
> plan that came with english menus.
>
> My question is about the 3g2 video format...
>
> I have managed to succesfully upload .3g2 audio content to my AU phone.
> How?  well:
>
> 1.- First you make the mp3 (I used Sony Sound Forge, but there are many options
> here)
> 2.- To convert mp3 into 3g2 I use WinXMedia AVI/WMV 3GP Converter version 2.0
>     which I downloaded as shareware from www.download.com (I understand
>     Quicktime Pro can also convert to this format, but didnt try it)
> 3.- To upload from computer to cellphone I use AU's MySyncSuite, which cost me
> arount
>     5,000 yen at the AU shop. (You can probablly get this cheaper at a bookstore
> and
>    actually, if you somehow get the software, the USB cable I've seen at the 100yen
>    shop).
>
> I have found out that .3g2 and .3gp audio play on my cellphone. They sound great!
> However, I can not register them as ringtones. I suppose this is due to copyright
> headers that are, of course, missing in my files...
>
> If I analyze the "Detail info" (form the phone) for chaku-uta files that I have
> downloaded from EZ-Web, the "Source/Agency" and "Source/License Holder" properties
> seem like the only differences - hence my conclusion...
>
> Does anybody know how can I solve this problem? How can I add this info so that the
> file can be registered and used as ringtones? I repeat, the phone CAN reproduce the
> file, but cannot register it as a ringtone.
>
> -----------------------------------
>
> One solution I found is a different format. I have succesfully played and
> registered  .mmf ringtones in my cellphone. These tests I made using an evaluation
> version of "Joy Ringtone Converter" which I downloaded from www.download.com, and
> AU's MySyncSuite.
>
> It seems that this format does not need to be signed and therefore it CAN be
> registered as a ringtone. Only problem is, it sound crappy when compared to the
> audio quality of the .3g2 file... There is really no comparison...
>
> On a side note, through experimentation, Ive noticed that a ringtone cannot be
> greater than 200k. Can anybody confirm this? or is this hardware dependant?
>
> If anybody can help, I'd be happy.
> Thanks.

Paul B. Lester
thetamusic.comiLj