(keitai-l) Re: FOMA phones hacked?

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 09/04/06
On 3 Sep 2006, at 20:03, keitai guy wrote:
> hey genius - why do you think a $700 phone is free?
> charge retail for it and the demand evaporates.
> hence companies like landk are making a scam biz in the grey area
> in the middle.

This just shows that the market is distorted.

On 4 Sep 2006, at 11:20, Hugh Ashton wrote:
> Would
> demand completely evaporate if open phones were on the market at a
> reasonable price? I doubt it.

I think this is a good point.

Anyone who has tried to get a decent smartphone/business phone (hazy
definitions both, I grant) in Japan will know just how poor and
limited the choice is here.  I think a lot of people would rather pay
a decent amount up front and get a decent phone that was not tied
down. In the early days, high churn meant rapid market development,
as the market matures that is less of an issue.

Nick
Puss in Peril - Can You Help?
http://kyushu.com/cats/