(keitai-l) Re: buying keitai

From: Nik Frengle <nfrengle_at_gmail.com>
Date: 11/07/06
Gerhard,
As usual, we must all bow to your encyclopaedic knowledge.
However, you missed the point: He needs something that he can use in Europe.
All of those models that you mention are 2.5g models, or in the case of au
3g(sic) that isn't usable anywhere near Europe. Nick was right: There is not
a simple phone model, to my (very un-encyclopaedic) knowledge, with GSM.
Simpleton's don't travel (hah!, seems to be the thinking, and only someone
who would travel would need a GSM-capable phone.
The unlocking thing should be treated with care: Make sure that you can
unlock the phone before you buy it. I don't know about FOMA, but am
passingly familiar with Softbank's, and am personally aware of some models
from Sharp and Sony Ericcson that can be unlocked. This is, of course,
frowned on by Son-san, but not actually illegal (nor immoral really, if you
fulfill your contract).You can probably find such information on the web
somewhere, and it would help if you read Japanese. I think the Japanese for
unlocked phone is SIMフリー 。The reason that you would want to do this, rather
than just buying a non-carrier 3G phone is that the carriers in Japan don't
seem that keen to help customers set their phones up, and there is a very
good chance that you couldn't get a non-carrier phone to do certain
functions. And the carrier ones are cheaper ;-)
Best,
Nik