(keitai-l) Re: horizon

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 12/01/06
I think a moderately large proportion of the "Japanese consumers" I
come into contact with (statistically trivial, naturally) want, not
so much "this" (particular) stuff - as "NEW!!" stuff.

"New" is a word with its own special semi-erotic resonance in Japan -
a resonance that it just does not seem to have in, for example,
Blighty. It is something deep within the culture - and manifests
itself not only in attitudes to consumer electronics, but, via it's
close cousin "fresh", in attitudes to food (think sashima, basashi
etc...) and nooky.

So "new" - sorry - NEW!!!!!  is an end in itself.

Nick