(keitai-l) Re: Roaming Abroad

From: Michael(tm) Smith <mike_at_w3.org>
Date: 07/20/07
Andrew Shuttleworth <andrew@cvp.jp>, 2007-07-18 19:07 -0700:
> Although there are a lot of good things about mobile in Japan, I
> really resent the fact they have basically neutered SMS.

I guess I count the decision among operators in Japan to ignore
SMS in favor of more robust device-independent means for sending
and receiving messages to be among the best thing about mobile
data services in Japan.

> Being able to send a text message to anyone without knowing
> their mobile email address is surprisingly useful.

And I guess it's also pretty useful to send a real e-mail message
(not just text) to somebody's handset without needing to know or
remember their mobile number is also pretty useful.

> Because it's never been here though, no-one misses it.

I miss being able to send messages to handsets of friends and
business acquaintances outside of Japan. But I'd suggest the way
to fix that is not for handsets and operators in Japan to support
SMS, but for those elsewhere to deploy real e-mail systems.

  --Mike

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature