(keitai-l) Re: SIM cards in Japan 2008

From: Andrew Shuttleworth <andrew_at_cvp.jp>
Date: 02/06/08
You could use either of the devices mentioned with SIM cards from DoCoMo or
Softbank (but not AU, Willcom or E-Mobile).
Getting voice services is easy - just plug in the SIM card and the device
will configure itself.

Data is more difficult though. Neither of the carriers officially support
flat rate (or maybe even non-flat rate?) data plans for devices other than
the ones they sell themselves. Power users usually go with a Softbank SIM
and look up the data settings somewhere online (you can try asking at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/windowsmobileinjapan).

I know at least one person who is using data on a TyTyn II with a DoCoMo SIM
but it's not flat rate data. In theory flat rate data may be unoffiicially
possible on a SIM free device, but I don't know anyone doing it.

All in all it's quite frustraing :-(

HTC this month has taken of the B1 floor of the Softbank shop in Shibuya
with a lot of demo units so you may be able to get advice there:
http://www.htc-fan.jp/modules/news/article.php?storyid=68 I'm talking with
them about possibly doing an information event in English one evening (very
tentatively the 20th). I'll post here if this gets fixed.

Andrew
www.windowsmobileinjapan.com