(keitai-l) Mobile Scan Codes and Direct vs. Indirect Resolution -- what's possible now?

From: slavin (area/code) <kevin_at_areacodeinc.com>
Date: 02/18/08
Hey, the Mobile Scan Codes thread has been super-interesting.

I have some questions for the list as to what you think is realistic these days, right now. We have some experience in this (mixed results) and are looking to keep pushing at it. As background and context --

--

Scan codes:

  We first worked with Semacode back in 2003, which was one of the first actual deployments of such technologies in the US. We had to execute the program (http://www.areacodeinc.com/work/conqwest/) in a relatively primitive way. We used indirect resolution, decoding the MMS messages on the server and routing back to phone via SMS. Even that only worked because we were working with 150 of the same phones on the same network.

Optical reco:

  In 2006, we worked with Mobot to execute a game in which players collected pieces by shooting the ads with phonecams. (http://www.areacodeinc.com/work/sopranos/) While the game was quite successful, this particular optic-capture element had minimal participation. Many reasons, but most prominent among them was that here in the US we couldn't send MMS to a common shortcode, so users had to email the images. So how do you associate the email address they've sent it from back to the phone? The email name protocol differs across carriers, and may not reveal anything about the phone number.

--

So the question is, here in 2008, what's possible -- in particular in Europe? If we were to do a campaign with optic codes, what can we expect? Since we don't expect people to download a new app to their phones, we'll be resolving indirectly. So...

  a.. should we ask them to send to an *email address* or to *MMS* it to a shortcode or longcode?

  b.. if by email, how do we determine what phone sent the message? E.g., if I email a photo from my blackberry, there's no way to associate the decode with that phone, just with the email address I sent it from. In Europe, what % of people even know how to send photos from their phone via email?

  c.. if by MMS, where do we tell them to send it to? We have cross-carrier and trans-national issues to sort out. And some phones (e.g., iPhone) don't even have MMS if I understand right.
If you were going to do an optic code campaign in Europe right now, how would you execute it, and what kind of results might you expect? Is all this hopeless until/unless there are direct clients on the phones themselves?

Apologies for a lengthy post, but I think this discussion is helpful to anyone considering using Mobile Scan Codes in the near future.

Kevin Slavin, managing director
area/code
36 E. 12th Street, 6th floor, NYC NY 10003
US+917.250.9416 / skype slavin_fpo
http://www.areacodeinc.com