(keitai-l) Re: Keitai finder systems tokyo

From: Christopher Keener <duck4jpn_at_gmail.com>
Date: 04/03/08
Dan,

There's always the English language "Tokyo Food Page" (www.bento.com); I
have only used their site from a PC, but I noticed that they offer a mobile
site.

    http://www.bento.com/info-mobile.html

Unfortunately the bar code provided didn't seem to work with my AU cell
phone; it seems to only support DoCoMo, but I was able to get it working by
manually entering the URL provided in the bar code on my cell phone:

    http://www.bento.com/i

While bento.com has good reviews and seems to be updated on a fairly regular
basis (I don't know how they survive, since they don't seem to have any ads
on the site), it lacks any links to maps; it does have an easy way to
navigate different areas and genres of food and provides the address and
telephone number of each restaurant. (There are both English and Japanese
areas for Tokyo and Osaka/Kansai; I found that the links for the English
pages seemed to work more reliably than those on the Japanese pages)

If a Japanese language site is agreeable, how about Yahoo's gourmet site?
It's loaded with lots of suggestions and is based on a user rating system.
It uses GPS to find your location and suggest nearby restaurants. The only
thing is that you have to sift through a lot of stuff to find the good
restaurants. Once you've located one you like, it displays a map or provides
directions.

I hope you find this information helpful.