(keitai-l) Re: xhtml - future mobile phone markup language?

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 06/11/00
Andrea Hoffmann wrote:

> Hi all,
> I then read on the phone.com site that all phones in
> Japan have implemented UP.Browser v3.1 which supports
> wml AND hdml. This makes me wondering if I should start
> doing the mobile user interfaces in wml rather then
> hdml. what are the experiences of other developers here?

As the EZ services explanation explicitly states that pages should be
written in HDML, you should probably stick with HDML for now.

> Last but not least: I can even subscribe to alerts (news
> etc) from mobile.yahoo.com which get send via e-mail
> (see http://mobile.yahoo.com/wireless/home). This works
> for both the cdmaone and the i-mode phone (its probably
> independent from the carrier?).

mobile.yahoo alerts can be sent as regular smtp email messages, making
them totally platform agnostic. Any smtp/email enabled device (including
all web phones in Japan) can receive messages, though receivable message
length varies.

r e n

P.S. In NY for a couple weeks BTW -- damn it's hot