(keitai-l) Re: ZDNet Australia: Equip: Is WAP crap?

From: Brent Bossom <bbossom_at_pg7.so-net.ne.jp>
Date: 06/30/00
> Agreed. As has been discussed before, I-Mode's success and WAP's "failure"
> have more to do with faulty business models and poor execution than bad
> technology.

I really don't think you can call WAP in Japan a failure. 2-1/2 million
subscribers, in just over a year, in the face of the NTT Docomo juggernaut
and the Norika boom over on J, is pretty impressive. And all of those
subscribers have signed on for a new, untried service (CDMAOne), not just a
new feature on the old PDC platform.  Of course the numbers pale in
comparison to the NTT numbers, but they are an extreme case.

> And I hate my WAP phone (cdmaOne IDO by Toshiba, but at least it's clear
> pink!)

Should've got the Sony...

Brent

Brent Bossom