(keitai-l) Re: [Internet Insight]2000.07.14: Wireless Web, Listen Up

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 07/18/00
Dave says that simply making the Web audible is "a fantastically
terrible idea" and I actually agree, at least if you are talking
about media translation, rather than new media creation.
And navigation rather than consumption.

What I'm thinking about is more along the lines of taking those
"fantastically terrible" voice-prompted menus that you have
to touchtone your way through right now in calling automated
phone services, and putting them where they should be:
on a screen, where you can navigate through them much
more rapidly.

What would be bulk text content on a web page, however,
would be read to the user, but perhaps with heading displays
on the screen so that audio sections could be skipped and
browsed by pushbutton.  I think this combines the strengths
of both hypertext and audio, while minimizing the weaknesses
of both when delivered over a handset.

I actually don't envision current web pages (most of them,
anyway) being converted to this form, automatically or
otherwise.  I think you'll probably see whole new classes
of providers, possibly coming out of old-media niches
like newspaper chains, magazine publishers, and radio-
station operators, but more likely completely new.

Someone once said that every new medium gets initially
populated by converting the most obvious old media.
This isn't always the right thing.

In the case of wireless internet, the most obvious
source medium is also something relatively new:
Web content. It may pay to look further back, though.

In short, it's not audio-only vs. text-only, but rather
how to combine the two in a nice way.

Michael Turner
www.idiom.com/~turner