(keitai-l) Re: "My Deck Editor Pro and HDML" (was Re: Re: i-mode vs net)

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 07/18/00
About My Deck Editah PuRO, I asked:

> 1.  Does anyone know of an English version of this?  For all I know,
>      it was originally in English and was localized.

Ren suggested:

> Try www.phone.com.

Maybe it's under a different name, and bundled with their
developer kit, but anyway, I didn't see it.  (What?!  No
site-search?  Who *are* these guys?)

Like a moth to the flame, I circled in with:

> 2.  Is this really worth bothering with?  HDML's gonna die, right?

Ren:

> HDML may "die", but so did COBOL...

What the Language of the Mummy has going for it is (1) literally
billions of lines of mission-critical corporate apps, and (2) mainframe
platforms with long useful lives.  Mobile phone web content doesn't
approach COBOL in either bulk or seriousness just now, and mobile
phone turnover is high, with no set platform yet.

Exposing my newbie-ness, I asked:

> 3.  What are some roughly equivalent tools out there for cHTML?

Ren, increasingly laconic:

> Any HTML editor.

I know this makes me a caveman on two counts, but *my* HTML
editor has been vi.  (Or sometimes MS Wordpad.)  Neither of which, last
I looked, had a cHTML syntax checker or a keitai graphic simulator
or a link-connectivity chart.

(Yeah, yeah, Emacs probably does.  What *doesn't* Emacs have?)

Well, I'll post my translation, and my product review, soon.
I hope before this Friday party.

Michael Turner
www.idiom.com/~turner
leap@gol.com