(keitai-l) Re: New member/i-mode stumbles?

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 08/15/00
I agree. Whilst a packet network is probably a prerequisite for a successful
wireless data service, it alone does not guarantee success.

NTT DoCoMo very specifically chose and continues to choose open technology
standards (HTTP, cHTML, Java) to encourage a wealth of contents.
Also, I think DoCoMo could keep ALOT more than 9% of billing charges if they
wanted to, but they don't b/c they make more on packet use and want to encourage
more use. And I agree with Bruce that 9% probably barely covers infra costs.

The WAP Forum's biggest failure has been it's excessive inclusion of
technologists, operators, etc. and not enough contents providers. WML and other
WAP protocols are a perfect example of what happens when very smart engineers
invent technically brilliant standards that are completely out of touch with
business reality.

DoCoMo, on the other hand, when it was first devising i-mode, went and spoke to
potential contents providers (like banks) and found out that, for example, they
had all just gotten the hang of html, so if they could continue to use their
html skills and existing web infrastructure they'd be much more willing to
provide contents for i-mode. And DoCoMo listened.

Granted, anyone can join the WAP Forum and participate in the decision-making.
But that's alot different than if all of Europe's operators asked all the banks,
newspapers, and video game makers what they wanted/needed in order to bother
making wireless contents.

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature