(keitai-l) Re: New member/i-mode stumbles?

From: M. David <davidm1_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 08/15/00
I think what everyone is forgetting is that Docomo had 70% of the mobile
market share prior to i-mode. There success has been turning that into 80%
of the mobile internet market. Is that really business model and technology,
or the turnover of many of their existing customers into i-mode users?

I would say that their success in Japan has been a first comer, name brand
advantage with a huge marketing budget. Business model is second, in that
they quickly got good content for the service (official content-
specifically of interest to the Japanese market -hello kitty etc.), and a
lagging third is the technology, which most i-mode users have no idea or
care about. This is proven by the 75% of traffic that goes through the
official sites.

David M.