(keitai-l) Re: New member/i-mode stumbles?

From: Bruce Kirk <kirkb_at_logica.com>
Date: 08/15/00
Jason

I do agree that the company's dominant position has helped them grow premium
content and get people interested in using the service ... But the real
story is not that i-mode has been successful - it is that it has been SO
successful. And that is down to more than a 50%+ market share and a PR
double-act of Masakazu Tamura and Ryoko Hirose.

I think you're giving Docomo's Marketing Department a lot more credit than
they really deserve. They went for an extremely soft launch in Feb.'99 and
any major marketing points scored since then (especially internationally)
have been created by the success of the service in terms of attracting new
users and content providers and in the handset innovations which have
accompanied this.  If they are able to mobilise such brilliant marketeers
then why was PHS such a flop? My own view is that if the technology doesn't
satisfy the users, then you're not going to see the sub growth ... but maybe
that's just me.

re: European subscribers not using their handsets for sending e-mails ...
Have you seen how successful SMS has been in Europe? Mass person-to-person
communication took off here first with Sky Walker (even though SMS was
available in Europe a few years then) and has now spread back into Europe in
a big way. A definite case of where Japan has been a test-lab for new
mass-market technologies - maybe we'll see the same thing happening with
i-mode.

re: content...MIDI downloads of the "Friends" theme-song, multi-user fishing
games, and 2-frame animation of Hello Kitty don't do it for me either - but
they do show the possibilities available for the wireless internet in terms
of mobile music and mobile gaming once the technology catches-up.  At least
I can see a definite roadmap with cHTML whereas it's all a bit vague over in
WAP-world.

Maybe screen-savers from Bandai wont sell well in Europe, but it's the
technology behind the delivery of that type of content (colour, animation,
etc.) that will help produce something that European users will want to see
on their handset. And these are not proprietary Docomo standards that we are
talking about here - you can find the open specs for cHTML at www.w3c.org
which were written in 1998. And once you've got open standards then you can
let a disparate groups of creative types do the rest. That's what Sony did
with the PS ...

Bruce