(keitai-l) Re: I-mode in Europe

From: Collins Declan <Declan.Collins_at_enterprise-ireland.com>
Date: 08/21/00
Hi All:

Thank you to all contributing to the i-mode in Europe discussion - very
interesting.

A few comments:

i-mode on GSM or GPRS? - the various contributions come down on both sides
of this issue:

Paul Eijkemans says with regard to I-mode on GSM:

 >As far as I know KPN is absolutely not planning this<

While the article submitted by  Kristian Solberg carrys a quote by

>Amos Kater, innovation manager for mobile data at KPN:

>I-Mode has proven itself as a technology and we are looking for a way >to
bring i-Mode applications to Europe," he said. "At the moment there >are
only few GSM cHTML phones available but we do not expect that to >become a
problem.<

Which seems to suggest that I-mode will be introduced on GSM.

While Bruce Kirk states in response to my question >Has KPN announced the
timing of the roll-out of GPRS< says:

>Don't know to be honest. Most of the main European carriers are trying to
aim for a Christmas / New Year launch.<

This would seem to suggest that it will be i-mode on GPRS.!!!

I'm still not sure which way to jump!!

Regarding handsets:  I agree that the Japanese manufacturers have not been
major players in the European market but I would not take that as an
indication of what is about to happen.  Japanese have demonstrated, time and
time again,  their expertise in bringing *cool consumer products* to market
in high volume.  In the area of handsets, they can produce new models in
less than 9 months where European and American manufacturers require close
to twice that time.  Make no mistake about it - Japanese handsets will be in
Europe, and elsewhere, in a big way.

Mats Ulenius states:

>I think that sometimes we exaggerate some sort of fierce competition
between "Japan" and "Europe"<

The competition will be fierce, especially when carriers try to recover
their hugh investments in 3G licenses.  Manufacturers cannot fail to be
drawn into the frey, alliences or not.

Declan