(keitai-l) Re: I-mode in Europe

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 08/21/00
paul.c.eijkemans@ac.com wrote:

> But let's move on and think about what I-Mode offers over WAP. With respect
> for the popularity of it in Japan: absolutely
> nothing. Yes, despite it is technically more advanced WAP lacks color for
> the moment, but are all Japanese mobile phones
> color devices?

You are confusing the current technical standards for i-mode in Japan with what
i-mode is: a business model.
i-mode on wap will succeed if it means offering:
lots of good contents
a simple user experience
an easy way to bill for pay contents

Color screens/WML/cHTML/etc. have nothing to do with i-mode. The current
technical implementations of i-mode are totally irrelevant. For many reasons,
DoCoMo went with cHTML and not WAP, but this is not a requirement for i-mode.
The only technical necessity I would say is a packet-switched network, which
offers packet billing and faster connections, and Europe will supposedly have
GPRS in place next year.

They key is the difference between i-mode the service and the current services
offered by mobile carriers; a strong brand backing trusted contents, a simple,
non-technical user eperience, etc.

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature