(keitai-l) Re: Privacy concerns contra usability?

From: jeffrey funk <funk_at_rose.rokkodai.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Date: 08/22/00
Docomo is very restricted in terms of the subscriber information that it is
allowed to use. It knows every home page that its subscribers visit and of
course every person its subscribers call. But it cannot sell or use this
information for advertising or any purpose. There have been several court
cases in the last few years where people have used subscriber information
(not docomo but I think hikari tsushin) and people have been arrested and as
far as I know convicted. While I have never asked docomo about the location
information, I am almost certain that a similar policy holds. A person's
location, telephone calls, and home page visits are private information that
probably cannot be sold or used (except by the police of course). The police
most certainly uses this information as this is one reason why the police
asked docomo to begin collecting personal information when people subscribe
to pre-paid services. people in shady businesses where all beginning to use
pre-paid services.

Jeffrey L. Funk
Associate Professor
Kobe University