(keitai-l) Japan Mobile Info and wearable computing

From: jeffrey funk <funk_at_rose.rokkodai.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Date: 08/25/00
I have been following the wearable computing market at a distance for
several years and I keep wondering, do we have to buy five pairs of shoes
that contain a hard disk or do we just always wear the same shoes? I am not
an expert on fashion but wearing the same shoes everyday is not cool. Now
someone is probably going to say that we will have shoes and other clothes
that contain portals for these hard disks, buttons, and displays. This may
happen but it will take many years for these kinds of standards (size of
portals, etc.) to appear. And the first wearable computing users will not be
the first I-mode users. The first I-mode users are young people who are not
computer geeks whereas the first wearable computing users will be geeks. One
of the reasons that I-mode has succeeded is because there are a lot of
contents that are designed for young people; people who are not big users of
the fixed-line Internet and who are more interested in "reach" than
"richness."

Jeffrey L. Funk
Associate Professor
Kobe University