(keitai-l) Re: GSM service

From: calvin lash <calvin-lash_at_hitachi-cs.co.jp>
Date: 09/07/00
> >Marcus Jensen wrote:
> > Does anyone know
> > if there are any cell phone global GSM service providers in Japan?
>
> Jani PATOKALLIO wrote:
> No.

In a Nikkei article about the plans for "KDDI" --the newly merging DDI,
KDD Corp. and IDO--  to "Team with Overseas Telecom Carrier", the DDI
president Okuyama said
<http://www.nikkeibp.asiabiztech.com/wcs/leaf?CID=onair/asabt/intvw/111385>

Q: What are your countermeasures against NTT DoCoMo?

Okuyama: ...We intend to form a business alliance with carriers in
Europe and the United States after the merger. Our company will obtain
some major partners. The partners won't be limited to companies that
will use the IMT-2000-based cdma2000 method.

------

That sounds like KDDI is going to support other methods such as the next
generation of GSM. ;-)

<!-- calvino <calvin-lash@hitachi-cs.co.jp>
Hitachi Communication Systems Inc., TPS
-- translation/localization since 1961 -->