(keitai-l) Re: what has ren been doing at work?

From: Evan Erlanson <evan_at_techbuddha.com>
Date: 09/26/00
I had, in fact, been wondering what Ren did at work.  My curiosity is now
quelled.

A couple of things:
1) Device Constraints--Semiconductor materials
2) WAP charges--packet switching and flat fee access in the US

1.  As Ren and Zimran have pointed out, the screen size and resolution are
crucial to the user experience, but it seems that making improvements here
and in the handset's processor is a matter of semiconductor physics and
production processes.  Make smaller, more powerful backlights, power
amplifiers, and processors and make them economically.  Gallium Arsenide is
one solution but is relatively expensive because GaAs fabs are still
churning out 4 inch wafers.  Production of 6 inch wafers is imminent, but by
then we might be demanding more out of our handsets than even GaAs can cope
with.

I'm hearing that the next technology is Indium Phosphide (InP), which will
enable devices with better power-efficiency and lower operating voltages,
necessary for the implementation of next generation wireless applications.

The interesting thing is that NTT is the only operator that seems to be
interested in investing in InP and other semicon technologies.  In the US,
the most players are military contractors (Hughes, TRW, etc.), i.e., not
developing for commercial use.  I think this is an interesting twist on the
relative competitiveness of Asian operators--pushing the technology forward
rather than waiting for Nokia to drop something in their lap.

BTW Here's a TechBuddha article about Gallium Arsenide and handset
functionality: http://www.techbuddha.com/nextlevel/galliumarsenide.html

2. I've read that in the US there is flat fee WAP access.  AT&T's Pocketnet
service allows you to stay connected all day if you want and you get charged
a flat rate. The service apparently works well in most major cities.  I also
hear that Nextel offers a packet-switched WAP service.  This underscores the
point that content is a bigger issue in the US than simple network and
billing issues.

--I agree, the 10 key entry is not much of a constraint in the end.  Add
auto type completion, like on the latest generation of Nokia's, and you can
get by quite nicely.