(keitai-l) Re: Flash on phones?

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 12/21/00
Jonathan wrote:
<snip>
> To tell you the truth if I thought the SVG standard (and implementations)
> where ready I would be pushing this.  SVG is so much more flexible, is a
> standard, and is much more developed on the "raster" (image)
> side.  I'd love to see SVG replace SWF.
<snip>

I subscribed to the SVG public mailing list for part of last year, as I was
working on a module to 'plot' graphics from my company's main application
to SVG files, in anticipation of this becoming a widely supported format.
I watched an understandable format turn into a huge, bloated one that
is so complicated that there are bound to be significant incompatibilities
between implementations. SVG includes, by reference, CSS2, DOM2(?),
XLink, XPointer, and several other complex specifications that just add
to this.

For use on a phone, I think you'd have to define a cSVG with so many
restrictions that you couldn't take much advantage of SVG tools.