(keitai-l) Re: Common wireless markup language?

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 01/18/01
At 11:03 2001-01-18 +0900, you wrote:

>My understanding is that in the future some kind of Modularization of XHTML
>will be adopted for both desktop and wireless (including i-mode). But it
>will have to be a slow rollout over sufficient time to allow content
>providers to rework their applications and hardware to. I am interested to
>hear opinions about this from the others on this list.

It's an overall convergence on several frontiers at the same time, which of
course is essentially good. XHTML-Basic is part of the modularization of
XHTML, although done a little bit from the side, emerging from cHTML.

XHTML-Basic will then be the base for WAP-NG which is to be specified this
summer. This work is to a large extent done by or at least according to
Kamada-san's way of thinking (he is the the CTO of Access).

What seems to have happened, at least partly, is that some of the Japanese
operators and vendors  have understood that it would be better the faster
they could emerge to this new standard, even before WAP-NG will be
specified and available for implementation by vendors. This is something we
would hope that vendors in Europe would understand also... But there is too
much prestige involved, and they also seem quite slow to learn (huge
understatement).

The question mark in this scene is openwave/phone.com. They have
participated this time in a fairly positive way in W3c, but will probably
experience technical problems moving from HDML and WML-lookalike o
XHTML-Basic. They are also together with Nokia, those who stresses the
backward compatibibility for WML in WAP-NG (which is more complicated than
it seems with different network architectures and limited memory availability).

So it's no secret that several of the other Japanese operators are lookig
for alternatives to phone.com...

It seems, by the way, that Access browser for 503i already can handle
XHTML-Basic completely, although they have only guaranteed this for the 3G
handsets, FOMA.

So the advice to everyone is to stop making silly WML, MML, HDML solutions.
It's already history. Dead man walking...

/gustaf

http://xped.io | gustaf_at_xpedio.com | t +46 8 674 50 47 | m +46 70 916 4747