(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Phones Must Die?

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 01/19/01
Kyle Barrow wrote:
> ...and more evidence that Jakob Nielsen is loosing touch with reality - I
> don't think he even knows where the biggest wireless market is:
> http://www.zdnet.com/devhead/alertbox/20010107.html

The article is poorly worded, but what I think Jakob
means with "Mobile Phones Must Die" (!) is not that mobile Internet
access is a dead end, but that the idea of mobile Internet
access built around a phone form factor -- the current incarnation
of WAP -- is a dead end.  And I agree.  Let's face it, the
screens are tiny, numeric keypads suck for anything except
entering numbers, etc etc, as Jakob points out.  And he
also points out that the "deck-of-cards" form factor,
employed by Palm & competition, is much better.

I have an i-mode phone, but I almost never use it for Web surfing.
A Palm VII-style i-mode device, however, would soon have me
running a huge phone bill.  (At least if it worked in the
subway.)

Cheers,
--
Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo