(keitai-l) Re: keitai-l Digest V2 #13

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 01/21/01
Without getting in a philosophical argument, charging by time on a
packet-switched cellular network makes little sense for several reasons:

* Cellular networks are inherently unstable (often drop and reconnect)
* Packet-switched network means the phone is always on

So, do you charge a user for just leaving the phone "on" all the time? Also,
if you break down time charges to 1 minute intervals, and the phone
disconnects and reconnects several times a minute, does the user get recharged
for every connect (as has happened on some WAP networks now)?

More realistically, I can image from a business perspective that voice calls
become free (commoditized) in order to drive users to use value-added data
services. Also it's possible to imagine charges for data-related services,
regardless of the quantity/time of data used.

r e n