(keitai-l) Re: keitai-l Digest V2 #15

From: Josh White <josh_at_blackbrick.com>
Date: 01/23/01
> From: Zimran Ahmed [mailto:zimran@creativegood.com]
> 10-key seems fine for many people. I have also seen some nice
> implementations where the phone has a toggle at the top that reduces
> text-entry on a 10-key to a single key entry (2=A, toggle up + 2 =B,
> toggle down + 2 = C).

Wow, this list is great. I had no idea this was done already! What are the
details of the phone that does this?

I'm interested because I thought I had invented chording keypad typing! ah
well - I found similar USA patents as well. Now I'll be happy if my future
phone has this feature (though of course I hope they use my simply brilliant
implementation! :).

But enough crying on your shoulders. Here's my contribution:

	During my design process I did some crude tests and estimated a large speed
improvement using chording keypads for cell phone text entry.  I claimed: "95%
of first-time users will double their old typing speed within five minutes of
using Phone3.  After 2 weeks of usage, 80% users will triple their old speed,
to about 10 words per minute - that's 25% of a full QWERTY keyboard."  Mind
you, those estimates are crude indeed, so don't be relying on them for
anything important.

Another interesting source for text & data entry is T9, the word-completion
software that many US cellphones licensed (dunno about the rest of the world).
T9 was  marketed (invented? I think not, but am not sure) by Tegis Corporation
www.tegis.com, which was purchased outright last year.

ever-inventive,

-Josh White
Oakland, California