(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Phones Must Die?

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 01/24/01
Andrew Shuttleworth wrote:

> Although you've got a point that many for many Japanese users 10 keys is
> there first type of keyboard and they are happy and proficient with this
> etc. etc., would it not seem sensible to presume that there will come a
> stage when they will want to evolve from this and that surely tens keys
> can't be the limit of technology.

Oh I agree, I just don't think this means by default QWERTY. Could be something
else altogether.

> Voice recognition and input will continue to develop and increase in use,
> although I doubt it will ever totally replace silent input methods. Someone
> also mentioned graffiti - one level up from that is handwriting recognition.
> This is already my preferred and fastest method of input on my Pocket PC and
> will probably be an important input means for tablet PCs. (I think there
> will be a learning curve similar to learning how to use a keyboard when
> learning how input using handwriting recognition, as the technology will
> never be able to guess 100% correctly all the time so some handwriting
> modification will be necessary).

Good point -- the most popular PDA in Japan, Sharp's Zaurus, has excellent
handwriting recognition. And as I'm sure you know handwriting recog is fairly
advanced in Japan b/c of the rigorous rules for writing (there is only one
correct way to write Japanese).

So in sum:
* the 12-key is now the defacto standard for non-PC input
* this could be replaced by some other input/combination of input types (voice,
handwrite, etc)
* assuming the qwerty keyboard will be the dominate input device is
short-sighted

Regards,

r e n