(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Phones Must Die?

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 01/26/01
Jani PATOKALLIO wrote:

> Recognizing handwriting with fixed-size characters, known stroke
> direction/order and a given input device (as in the Zaurus) is already
> tough enough a task; when you've got wildly variant sizes, styles,
> orientations, colors and thicknesses, just managing to read numbers
> is an impressive achievement...

Actually, I'd say recognizing written Japanese is fairly easy. Given the
relative location and direction of the first stroke of the kanji, the
possible matching characters drop from thousands to hundreds or even 10s. By
the second or third stroke the number of possible matches is even more
drastically reduced. Much easier than recognizing say English, which has NO
fixed stroke order, making recognition considerably more difficult. Also,
since basically all Japanese are taught to write Japanes exactly the same
way, same size, style, etc., the job becomes even easier.

r e n