(keitai-l) Re: Frustration makes way for...

From: John Ellenby <john_at_geovector.com>
Date: 01/30/01
From: Victor Pikula <victor@pikula.com>
To: keitai-l@appelsiini.net <keitai-l@appelsiini.net>
Date: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 4:24 AM
Subject: (keitai-l) Frustration makes way for...

>... laughter!
>
>While I was venting some air last week, pointing out the flaws in CNet and
>ZDNet publications, today I feel better than ever. I will walk the dog this
>afternoon with a huge smile on my face after...
>
>... reading T H I S :
>
>http://www.zdnet.com/enterprise/stories/main/0,10228,2677504,00.html
>
>Just a small quote:
>"... What's going to change between now and 2004 that will make this
>different? The Docomo phone?"
>
>I dislike generalizations, so I do not believe all Americans can feel this
way
>about mobile-enabling network technology. Are there any people on this list
>that want to comment on this?

Victor,

we agree with you 100% about the myopia here in the US. Unfortunately the
Venture Capital crowd (attitude shapers for a huge % of available money for
new stuff) happen to have the worst cell phone coverage in the world. The
Sand Hill Road area (irreverantly known as "VC Ghetto") is located in area
that has consistently denied the placement of additional cell-sites.
Furthermore the Palo Alto "Black Hole" affects users in Palo Alto and also
on 101 to the extent that most people working in this area have no idea that
the stuff actually works at all. Unless!.. they go for a holiday in Italy
and find teenagers using their phones inside Etruscan tombs .. and of course
this pisses them off.. ("flashy covers", "intrusive" ring tones..etc)... so
they come back full of jealousy and annoyed at the thought that people not
much younger than themselelves might actually find cell phone useage a major
part of their community and FUN. These attitudes affect the cost of money
and hence adversely affect companies that know that the low end of gen X and
the mid to top end of gen Y in areas outside the US find cellphones, natural
and fun and a HUGE part of their community... hence booming user populations
and booming mobile applications. There is MASSIVE latent demand here in the
US.

John
Geovector
www.geovector.com