(keitai-l) Re: DoCoMo MAGIC vision Re: billing and packet charges

From: Alexander Basil Chelico <c-alexander_at_crc.ad.jp>
Date: 02/19/01
Kyle,

> Apart from some very slick video of a 2010 world with everyone using
> semi-transparent DoCoMo devices, their 'MAGIC' vision seriously pushes
> i-mode as an ASP business platform. What was interesting is the showcased
> ASPs all use subscription models which operate outside i-menu. DoCoMo was
> interested in packet charges they receive from ASP clients not any cut from
> subscriptions.

This makes total sense. A simple case study to prove the point...

My company offers a groupware service as an ASP (has
features like mail, scheduling, work lists, etc). The
service is accessible through a PC browser, PDA (Zaurus &
Palm), i-Mode, H", and EZWeb. A subscription to the service,
which includes all modes of access listed above, is less
than 1 000 Yen/month/user. I am a "medium" user (check my
e-mail and schedule about once a day) of the service through
i-Mode and my packet fees are consistently over 5 000
Yen/month. I have breached 10 000 Yen/month on occasion.

The ASP business is not a "# of eyeballs" game like the
portals and other B2C plays. Each user, whether exposed to
advertising or not, is relatively high value and the degree
of stickiness needs no explanation.

Considering the returns involved, dare I say that Docomo
(and others) should be paying my company for offering the
service? Afterall, selling the ASP service is almost like
selling a phone - it's a guaranteed packet fee generator
(assuming, of course, that the user actually accesses via
i-Mode, etc, and not exclusively through a PC).

alex
--
Alexander Basil Chelico