(keitai-l) Lets Get a Japanese Language Magazine Translated

From: Philip Greenan <pgreenan_at_network365.com>
Date: 02/20/01
I am a newcomer to the mailing list, and although my core job function is
business development rather than software development, I find the content
quite interesting.

One thought I have had in reading the mailing list content, is that we are
all struggling to gather and digest as much information as possible on what
is going on in the Japan mobile world, each of us with our own goals.

I am based in Japan, and while I speak the language well, my ability to read
Japanese is painfully limited - but I can read enough to know that they is
excellent information available in Japanese magazines, but its the tedium of
reading which is a big barrier, and sharing with non-Japanese (=HQ) is not
possible.

In the first edition there were two particularly good articles in Mobile
Media Magazine which I got translated, “Clicks & Mortar over Mobile”
Tsutaya Online (http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/) AND Shopping Malls
[Case 1] “Traditional Malls Enter M-Commerce” Rakuten Ichiba
(http://www.rakuten.co.jp/)
I can share these with anyone who is interested (mail me directly:
pgreenan@network365.com).

From the cost of their translation (40,000 yen for approximately 3 pages of
the magazine), it would seem that a full monthly edition might be translated
for about 1 million yen (although I know nothing of what royalties would
need to be paid to the original magazine publisher) - say it rose to 2
million yen/month - now while this is well above my budget for magazine
subscriptions, if we could get 100 brains from this list to commit, then we
could all have real detailed info, for a managable say 20,000 yen/month, or
less as we got more subs.

Not sure who would do this job, but I certainly feel we would all be a lot
better informed as a result of reading what the locals are reading, rather
then the snippets that appear in english here and there.

Any ideas/comments/volunteers

Philip Greenan
Network365 Japan
www.network365.com