(keitai-l) Re: Will the HTML browser take over?

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 03/04/01
At 12:39 2001-03-04, you wrote:

>Hi List,
>
>I'd like to ask for some input from people on this list. I have been asked
>to comment on a paper written by a research group within my company (KPMG
>Consulting).

I really think that the research group should try to do some research.
All  (...) pages need to be rewritten.

WAP is an open industry spec and not proprietary, it is often however
implemented in a proprietary way by operators and OpenWave.

cHTML is an open note related to the quasi-standard HTML 4, followed up by
the also open, extendable and modular XHTML, especially XHTML Basic.

i-mode is DoCoMo's brand name for interactive PDC services, possibly also
GPRS services overseas. It utilises CHTML over http and email, so it is a
quite Internet oriented solution, although with some closed structures and
business models. 3G will have FOMA as the similar brand name (may be
changed to i-mode...?).

Other simple HTML browsers exist, most notably by Microsoft with
mobileExplorer.

/g

>It's a brief (5 pages) and not very well thought-through piece (if you ask
>me) on the future standard for mobile Internet/m-commerce. Conclusions in
>short: Both WAP and i-mode are proprietary technologies and will have
>limited success. Only when HTML is the worldwide standard, giving users
>their anticipated unrestricted WWW Internet experience, will the mobile
>Internet succeed.

[ excessive quoting removed ]

http://xped.io | gustaf_at_xpedio.com | t +46 8 674 50 47 | m +46 70 916 4747