(keitai-l) Re: Will the HTML browser take over?

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 03/06/01
Andrea Hoffmann wrote:
> > "But I thought GSM worked everywhere in the world these days!  You
> > mean I'll have to call you with, like, a payphone or something
> > when I get to the airport?  Do they still *have* those in Japan?
> > They're getting pretty rare around here..."
>
> The other point though is to assume that you have to use a payphone
> because GSM doesn't work in Japan, which is not true.

Hmm...?  Of course she didn't mean that Japanese people don't
have cellphones at all, she was just complaining about not being
able to use her GSM.  Making a call from a pay phone just after
arriving in a new country is not entirely trivial: you have to exchange
money, more likely than not buy something so you can get a few coins,
then locate the payphone and figure out how it works...

Cheers,
--
Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo