(keitai-l) Re: Handset technology (was: JPEG & DSP on keitais)

From: Hubert Hung-Hsien Chang <hubert_at_4w1h.com>
Date: 03/15/01

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Michael Turner wrote:
>......... (A few years ago, I was calling
> on my Motorola celphone in the U.S., and, after signing off,
> turned to my friend, hefting the phone, and said "I can't get
> used to how *big* this sucker is."  He, a Silicon Valley engineer,
> replied, "Really? I can't get used to how *small* it is."  I, of
> course, had been in Japan some years already.)

Motorola does have 'small' phone. The interesting thing I see is: there
are 'right' and 'wrong' way of being small. The Motorola got the 'wrong'
way. They have this tiny phone that is narrow than the i-mode phone, in
fact, too narrow and the height is a bit shorter than -mode phone, in
fact, too short. I don't know what is on their mind but the design is
flawed. And remember, the Motorola phone is supposed to be designed for
US/European and Japan is for Japanese. Obviously, it doesn't seem to be
this case. Japanese phone is designed for a human. And Motorola is
designed for the 'Mad hat' from 'the Alice in the wonder land'.

> local-market-focused manner.  Europeans are probably doing the
> same, really, it's just that Europe's "locality" looks so much more
> global, culturally and politically, and in its telecom infrastructure,
> than Japan's.  Japanese manufacturers don't really *have* to
> think about global roaming - they are all scrambling to get to the

As you know, NTT DoCoMo has started selling the international roaming
mobile phone, http://www.nttdocomo.com/new/contents/01/whatnew0122a.html

:)

Hubert