(keitai-l) Re: Handset technology

From: Arjen van Blokland <arjen_at_fra.allnet.ne.jp>
Date: 03/16/01
Gerhard,

Stats are only interesting if you define what you mean with electronics
output.
Do you mean components? Know-how? From which year are these stats?
Nowadays lots of electronics (fridges, tv, etc) is being made in China.
Lots of companies are moving nowadays production and R&D facilities to
mainland China, which is becoming the next high-tech manufacturing powerhouse.

Anyway, I agree with you that this is a better issue to talk about over a
glass of beer.

Arjen

At 01:00 AM 3/16/01 +0900, you wrote:
>Arjen,
>
>sure - Philips is an excellent company.
>
>But last time I looked about 40% of the world's electronics
>output was in US, 40% in Japan, 12% in ROW (Rest of the world)
>and 8% in Europe.
>
>Sure there are excellent electronics companies in Europe, for
>example PHILIPS and ST-Microelectronics.
>
>But: which major electronics breakthrough: LCDs, PCs, Palm, IC,
>LEDs, GaN, Transistor, Microsoft, happened in Europe?
>
>I am European - so I have no intention to put Europe down -
>I am trying to encourage Europe to be more aggressive in exploiting
>the many opportunities. Last year I was invited to attend and give
>introductory remarks at a roundtable discussion in Brussels entitled
>"Europe's innovation crisis". It was attended by Directors of Nokia,
>Daimler-Chrysler, Eurotechnology, IBM, Monsanto, Wall-Street-Journal,
>and many other serious established firms, as well as VCs, start-ups,
>government and EU representatives where many of these issues were
>discussed. Let's have a beer to discuss more about these issues if
>you like.
>

>Gerhard
>http://www.eurotechnology.com/
>

>Arjen van Blokland wrote:
> >
> > Gerhard, maybe not Europe as a whole but Holland has been quite active in
> > the electronics field.  Philips is quite active in the electronics
> > business. And as far as I can remember Philips has been very active in
> > electronics in the past 90 years. Please correct me if I amwrong :)
> > However, they almost missed the boat with the development of LCDs, since
> > they tried to introduce diode technology. In 1997 they stopped this project
> > and bought themselves into Hosiden. This company is now owned by Philips.
> > Furthermore, Philips bought a large share in LG displays two years ago.
> >
> > Arjen van Blokland
> >
> > [ Did you check the archives?   http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/ ]
>
>[ Did you check the archives?   http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/ ]

Arjen van Blokland - Private
Addres: Tobari 950-22, Kashiwa, Chiba, JAPAN 277-0008
Tel/Fax:        +81-471-39-2566
Mobile: +81-90-7630-5776
E-mail:         arjen@fra.allnet.ne.jp